The Western Port Biosphere faces several sustainable development challenges.
Human pressures on the biosphere reserve include:
- Pollution and waste management
- Water quality in rivers and streams that flow into the marine environment
- Impacts of climate change (storm surge, coastal inundation and erosion; inland flooding; increased fire risk; threats to human health, water supplies and infrastructure; and pressure on biodiversity)
- Rapid urban expansion, loss of productive farmland, coastal landscapes and vegetation
- Proposed Port expansion
- Impacts from industrial and tourism activities
Our Pilot Report Card provides a snapshot of how we are doing against environmental, social and economic indicators.