You don’t have to become a water steward to be involved in water stewardship in the Western Port Biosphere Reserve!
Here are just some of ways you can use water in a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable way:
- Become a Western Port Biosphere Member or Sponsor, or make a donation
- Join a local Landcare group or find a community group to get involved with activities like tree planting and protecting streamside vegetation
- Pick up litter near drains and waterways
- Reduce your water consumption
- Know your water footprint and buy water-efficient products and services
- Reuse rainwater – e.g. set up a rain garden
- Plant native plants and groundcovers on your property to ensure no bare soil to prevent sediment run-off. Check with your local council for indigenous plants that are suitable for your area.
- Use less fertiliser (slow release fertilisers or organic matter are best)
- Use natural alternatives to pesticides